Discrete Graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BarryChuckle, Jul 3, 2011.

1. BarryChuckle macrumors member

Hey

I am just wondering how I can tell if my mbp has switched to discreet graphics or not ? I am sure that it's switching to discrete graphics straight away ?

I have selected automatic graphics switching on the system preferences.

Thanks

2. BarryChuckle thread starter macrumors member

Cheers hellhammer!

Should my machine be using the discreet graphics when only using the twitter app ?

Thanks again!

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Twitter isn't heavy enough to need the dGPU but some apps trigger it anyway, even if it makes no sense. This thread should be helpful.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

you're only going to need to utilize the switch if you are doing something graphically intensive such as gaming or what have you.

the hd3000 will handle any sort of everyday need such as browsing and the like just fine.

5. BarryChuckle thread starter macrumors member

That's why I am worried. I am not doing anything that warrants such power ( I think the HD3000 will be able to handle the twitter app and safari )

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

right, then just use the app that Hellhammer recommended and you should be fine. you asked if your computer should be using discrete for a twitter app, and i was simply saying that the hd3000 would be your ideal choice for that. sorry if i misunderstood.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I have mine set to switch on power. If it's plugged in, it automatically switches to dedicated and on battery it switches to integrated. I use the free app that hellhammer linked.

8. WestC07 macrumors newbie

That's what I do as well.