discrimination

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shiunn, Jul 27, 2008.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

I was queueing at O2 strand, on Friday just gone. There wasn't a lot of us. And we waited for around 30 minutes before the store opened. When it opened, there was no stock, so we waited for another 30 minutes until the delivery guy came. We were jubilant. There were only 2 16gb phones, which was fine by me, cuz I'm the 1st guy in the line to want a 16gb.

Alas, the O2 lady told me that, her manager called earlier that morning, and decided that the 16gb can only be sold to new connections. I felt angry and cheated. I felt like, all my effort was wasted (that was my second day trying).

I mean, I've not read/heard anything about this kind of rule. I went to another store, and the guy there hadn't heard rule like this. Did this happen to any other people out there?

2. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

I forgot to mention I was upgrading....(well, that could be already be implied in the first post...)

3. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I missing how its discrimination?

4. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

I am missing that as well.

5. bstpierre macrumors 6502

They are discriminating against existing customers.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

discrimination against existing customers

nope, that hasn't happened
    and it shouldnt happen
    you should have demanded the 16gb iphone, or asked to see where o2 said that those phones were only for new customers

7. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

i know discrimination is quite a strong word, even if it's just discrimination against existing customers.
    any of these happened to other ppl?
    they could have at least let us queueing ppl know of this rule rather than let us/me wait for nothing...

8. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

o2 stores are not allowed to reserve/hold/save any iPhones for friends, customers, mangers etc

call up customer service an make a complaint - make sure you know the name of the manger and the person who dealt with you

the only reason the o2 store would be allowed to hold stock is if there is an exchange due to a customer having a defective handset or for display units/store handsets

9. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

Seems to me like someone was reserving a phone for someone else--- i would complain about that-- why would they even tell you they had two if they were not going to sell them-- bad form on their part!

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

email the CEO at matthew dot key at o2 dot com and complain

11. aosman macrumors 6502

My guess is that they might have been holding it for someone, and found an excuse not to sell it to you. Definitely not fair... :mad:

12. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

13. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Sorry for what happened to you but I see that Spain is not alone in this "quest" to obtain an iPhone.

In Spain, Movistar (spanish cousin of O2), makes it very hard for current customers to buy the iPhone. Most shops will refuse to sell it to you unless it`s for a new account or a portability from another network.

14. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah. You reminded me of something. It seems that the O2 people are REALLY reluctant to reveal how many 16gbs they get in a delivery (or 8gbs for that matter). I was trying to go around that by asking, eg, how long can one delivery last for before selling out. Again, reluctant to answer. Standard, classical answers are: they sell out fast. we don't get a lot of 16gbs. they go out in a day, etc.

Sigh. I don't know the manager's name. And I forgot the name of the lady who served me that day. and I don't think matthew kay would care about me either....