Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techno Pirate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
I see a lot of rumors about a 14in MacBook Pro launching in the next couple months and I wanted to address the obvious issue with this theory and what it means for the rest of the MacBook lineup.

With the release of the 2020 MacBook Air, the 2019 13in MacBook Pro and itself are occupying an uncomfortably similar spot in Apple's laptop lineup. This makes it clear that the 13in MacBook Pro is due for an overhaul. On paper the Air and the Pro look nearly identical in performance, with the Air boasting even newer technology across its board. That said, the Air can't keep up in more demanding tasks thanks to its very poor heating solution, translating into slightly slower real world performance compared to the Pro, but the average consumer doesn't know that. The Air still looks like a better deal on paper.

So where does that leave the 13in MacBook Pro? It's going to have to undergo a massive overhaul if Apple plans to keep it around, otherwise the Air will cannibalize its sales even more than it currently is. Does that mean the 13in Pro is no more? From a business perspective and a consumer perspective I just don't see a point to keep it around. The Air was already outselling the Pro before the 2020 Air released so sales of the Pro should fall even further while the Air's increases. The only thing that makes sense is for the new MacBook Pro to be 14in. This way, it's offering something unique over the Air while also being different enough from the 16in MacBook Pro in size.

But I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Do you think the 14in Pro will replace the 13in in the next months? Or do you think there is still room for the 13in to exist?

CPL593H

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2018
Personally, a 14 inch Pro and 13 inch Air would make sense. Keep a cheaper, thinner, less good model for the masses, and a nice more powerful, 4 USB-C port, thin bezel, etc for the higher end.

Right now the difference between Air, 2 port and 4 port Pro is minor between models overall.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If they do go forward with both current 13" models (marketed as the 2 Thunderbolt 3 port and 4 Thunderbolt 3 port versions, but in reality differing quite a lot in specification) presumably they might continue making the cheaper 2 Thunderbolt model as a 13" and only upgrade the more expensive 4 Thunderbolt machine to a 14" display. That gives more differentiation between those two models. As you say the 13" model would then have to compete with the Air, but it would still have advantages like P3 for colour accurate work and better cooling for sustained intensive computing, which would probably mean it would still find an audience.

Reactions: ctjack

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
It might be possible to envisage a simplified future MacBook range consisting of two sizes and with the marketing badges Air and Pro consigned to history. Each size would, as now, have a range of build options, CPU, RAM etc and thus a range of price points. The Air was introduced as a the top line Apple notebook - remember Steve Jobs pulling it out of an envelope? - and has since migrated to being their El Cheapo entry level offer. Given that global notebook sales were not soaring even before the current plague, might it not make sense for Apple to rationalise the range? The most powerful components, CPU and GPU, could be reserved to the larger chassis for thermal reasons. After all, if you want to play souped up video games (while claiming you edit 8k video!) then the bigger screen would make sense, while if you want to tote a business apps - for which quite modest CPUs and integrated graphics are fine - capable notebook then the 13/14 would be the obvious choice.
Just my thoughts on how Apple could both make the economy of slimming their range and avoid having two models fighting for exactly the same customers.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Personally, a 14 inch Pro and 13 inch Air would make sense. Keep a cheaper, thinner, less good model for the masses, and a nice more powerful, 4 USB-C port, thin bezel, etc for the higher end.

Right now the difference between Air, 2 port and 4 port Pro is minor between models overall.
The base 13” Pro is actually quite a bit faster than the 13” Air in CPU-intensive tasks. For basic tasks, the two are about the same.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I think there’s enough room for a 13” Air and 4TB3 13” Pro to coexist, though of course a 14” would be welcomed. The 2 port variant seems to be an anachronism from 2016 when it was almost seen as a MBA replacement, considering it was quite a bit smaller than the Air at the time. Since 2018 however, it’s been pretty redundant. I think that’s why they refreshed it with the Touch Bar just to keep some differentiation.

Even staying at 13”, the 4TB3 Pro offers better speakers, cooling, P3 screen and more ports. I would expect that when/if the 14” refresh comes, that low-end MBP will be discontinued and the new 14” will start at a higher configuration than the current 8 GB/256 GB - probably 16 GB/256 GB, though I’m hoping for 16/512. As it stands, the small MacBook Pro is pretty horrific value for money, getting squeezed by the Air at one end and the 16” MBP at the other. I’m sure when it’s refreshed that’ll be balanced out, and once again it will be almost the default choice for a lot of prosumer users.

Techno Pirate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
I think there’s enough room for a 13” Air and 4TB3 13” Pro to coexist, though of course a 14” would be welcomed. The 2 port variant seems to be an anachronism from 2016 when it was almost seen as a MBA replacement, considering it was quite a bit smaller than the Air at the time. Since 2018 however, it’s been pretty redundant. I think that’s why they refreshed it with the Touch Bar just to keep some differentiation.

Even staying at 13”, the 4TB3 Pro offers better speakers, cooling, P3 screen and more ports. I would expect that when/if the 14” refresh comes, that low-end MBP will be discontinued and the new 14” will start at a higher configuration than the current 8 GB/256 GB - probably 16 GB/256 GB, though I’m hoping for 16/512. As it stands, the small MacBook Pro is pretty horrific value for money, getting squeezed by the Air at one end and the 16” MBP at the other. I’m sure when it’s refreshed that’ll be balanced out, and once again it will be almost the default choice for a lot of prosumer users.

I agree that the air and the 13 mbp are functionally different, but the average consumer would not know that. The average consumer doesn't even know what the difference between the two screens is. Both are just retina screens to them.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I agree that the air and the 13 mbp are functionally different, but the average consumer would not know that. The average consumer doesn't even know what the difference between the two screens is. Both are just retina screens to them.
I will go even further: even if they know it, there is a reason why Air is so much more popular. Because there is a psychological limit on spending for a new laptop which is near $1000, that is why most of the people goes with Air, despite maybe wanting a Pro 13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.