Dish Network...Rant?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coledog, Feb 9, 2008.

1. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Thanks to DishNotWork, tonight was the most frustrating evening I have experienced in my entire adult life.

We were not going to be home for the start of SuperBowl XLII, so I set up the DVR on my DishNotWork system to record the SuperBowl and the post-game show that was listed on the program guide.

When we returned home, we began to watch SuperBowl from the beginning of the DVR recording. At 3 hours and 5 minutes into the playback, near the beginning of the 4th quarter, the DVR stopped and switched to live TV. At this point, it was a few minutes after 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and there was only 10 seconds left in the football game. Two touchdowns – one by each team – had been scored between the end of our DVR recording and the beginning of our live TV. We had, it seems, missed almost all the 4th quarter. Despite my attempts to do so, your non-service rep confirms it is impossible to go back in time on the “live” DVR earlier than the point at which the “recorded” DVR program ends.

I have had DishNotWork service for over three years now, and I have contacted you people more than once over that period about this same problem. Your response is always the same – add extra recording time beyond the time block shown in your on-screen program guide. Of course, when the program I wish to record is the 3rd or 4th cascaded basketball game of a Saturday, those extra time blocks I’m supposed to throw in get kinda large, killing much of the supposed 200 hours I have available on my DVR. And heaven help me if I want to record two separate programs that happen to be on two different channels! The best part of the conversation was when your non-service rep (see below) tried to explain to me that you get your program guide from a “third party” and the “third party” is the one who sets the length of the programs! (Makes one wonder why *any*body at DishNotWork draws a salary.)

Despite my having raised concerns about this flaw in your technology for more than two years, you have seen fit to do nothing about it.

So as of tonight I have advised your customer non-service rep “Gabriel – operator code ‘GYP’” – most appropriate, I thought, as he told me his code – to terminate my DishNotWork service. This he has done. I have also asked him to give me a 6-month retroactive credit for a small part of the non-service I have been receiving for the past three years. This he says he cannot do. When I ask him to connect me to a person who *can* make this adjustment, he says he can’t do that, either. So here I am, trying to find someone at DishNotWork who can make decisions.

Please put me in contact with the person in your organization who can make decisions. I have yet to find even one such person.

We're off to DirectTV now...not only do they have better hardware capabilities but they also have MLB PayPerView.
    Just wanted to post that SOMEWHERE...thanks!

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Um, EVERYONE gets their TV Guide data from a 3rd party. A couple companies gather it and then sell it to everyone else. My TiVo gets it from a 3rd party, my Charter digital cable box gets it from a 3rd party, my old Windows MCE DVR got it from a 3rd party, and I guarantee you DirecTV gets their data from a 3rd party too.

It sounds like you're upset at Dish because the Super Bowl went longer than expected.....how the hell is anyone supposed to predict that?

3. coledog thread starter macrumors 6502a

coledog

We know that they get it from a 3rd party. Maybe to keep the consumers happy Dish, Cable, etc should tell them to supply a better product...

Also, have you EVER seen a Super Bowl that ended before the 3 hour time bracket did? One hour game, started 15 minutes or so into the bracket, penalties, commercials, timeouts, halftime shows...they all add up to equal 4 hours or so. Any kid can figure THAT out, why can't the "3rd party"?

4. iowamensan macrumors 6502

Umm... I fail to see how this is the fault of Dish Network or the 3rd Party guide supplier. If it is something that you really want to watch, you should also set it to record the following show. That is a simple tip I learned after missing the checkered flag in a few NASCAR races. I don't see how I could possible blame Dish Network or the TV guide people because a race had extra cautions or a red flag delay.

5. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Believe me, its not all that much better. We've had it for ten years, paid megamoney extra for NFL Sunday Ticket to make sure we could always watch the Dolphins 1000 miles away from their home stadium(shaddup :p), plus the decent chunk of change we've spent on an HD reciever and programming, and they won't cut us a deal on an HD DVR. They let people who have never had the service before have the same thing for cheap, but for those who've spent thousands on it, they do nothing.

Yeah, i know, Marketing 101, but it still irks me.

Plus it seems that their channels are always wayy behind. Our local Fox affiliate went digital(well, low power, no HD available more than 10 miles from the station, but its at least somewhere) about four years ago, and they had to change their channel number because their original channel fell above the digital channel spectrum, and to this day DirecTV still shows their old channel number, but because that digital channel doesn't exist, there's no signal.

6. coledog thread starter macrumors 6502a

coledog

25 years ago a new technology called VCR Plus came out...it took the 6 digit program broadcast code off the air and the VCR would not stop recording until that station stopped broadcasting that program/code. We send people into orbit and robots to mars, why can't we have something that recognizes when a program is over or extended?

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well actually this isn't just a Dish Network flaw. Cox DVR also does the same thing so I've been conditioned to record the next show as well. You're dealing with a whole other element when you record sports so I'd presume you'd want to record as much as you can and watch it asap to free that space up. DirectTV is also guilty of this from what I understand.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonW580i/R6BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

The third party just uses the times the network sends them anyways. So if it's anyone's fault, it's FOX's

9. coledog thread starter macrumors 6502a

coledog

That sounds like a good explanation too...unfortunately nothing can get me back the last quarter of the Super Bowl. (yup, i missed Eli becoming a man)

10. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I would have to agree with that, surely that sat company could send information to the receiver to tell it if the show is on or off and if it was still playing then the DVR should be programmed to keep recording. What a novel idea.

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I blame Michael Strahan :rolleyes:

This is pretty much a non-issue.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is your Dish Network adverse to Sports Center? You'll catch it there hands down...over and over and over. They'll over play it like a bad Lindsey Lohan song. :cool:

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sucks but they are right always add extra record time. Eating up 240 hours... ooo big deal. So you lose 10% of that. Really how is that going to effect you. I tend to erase stuff off my DVR after I watch it any how.

now the recording multiple channels that can be an issue on some DVRs. I have ATT Uverse. It can record 4 channels at one time (that or record 3 and watch one). I find it to be great.

As for my favorit shows I have it set to record 5 mins over the length of the show ending to make sure I get it all.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Wrong. All the code told the VCR was the channel, the start time, and the duration. There was no broadcast code. It too would have said 3 or 4 hours or whatever and would have blindly recorded that amount.

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Pardon me for being unimpressed. Thermonuclear rant because the OP -- missed a minute of a -- televised FOOTBALL GAME! -- all because someone didn't understand how their equipment worked.

Would be afraid to see the result if anything actually important did happen to the OP.