Dishonored

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Seems like the gaming media is all over this game. Has anyone picked it up? Is it as good as everyone says?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

i just started it and really like it so far. What I like is there are different ways to play the game. You can just hack and slash your way through, or (what I am trying) play all the way through without killing anybody using stealth. How you play affects what happens in the game.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I read Eurogamers glowing appraisal so I have now ordered PC version. Should arrive tomorrow from gamestop online :)

It looks like the best FPS since Bioshock, and its great to see a game that was on practically nobodies radar turning into what a lot of users are already calling their game of the year....

Ordered it along with X-COM which I had no desire to play until I tried the demo and really enjoyed it. :) Bought that for PC too.

----------

This is the approach that actually made me want to buy & play it too. A chance to not kill anyone in a FPS :)

4. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I am really not all too impressed. I don't care about the characters anymore, too many times the missions have broke on me, and too many times I want to do something and it's not built into the game. Enemies are much too stupid, and the game much much too easy. Only took the first 2 missions to lose my interest, and never needed any of the abilities to get the Ghost achievements. Playing on a PC fyi.

Minus the ridiculous boss fights, Deus Ex was superior.

5. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

I'm interested in this game. But between two assassiny games, I'm choosing AC 3 because I'm really interested in the story. I might pick this up later when the price drops though.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I heard from one reviewer that you should play the game on hardcore to beef up the AI and give yourself a real challenge.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Playing this now and I'm finding getting the no kill, no alarm - very tricky and I'm only at very early stages.

Spent ages thinking I'd done it, saving and re-loading along the way, only to get to end of chapter 1 and it tell me that 1 hostile killed.... I think it may have been when I just threw a guard off my shoulder rather than dropping them...

Now thinking I might just race through the game being evil and killing first and then play through after as a stealthy conscientious objector.

8. TedM macrumors 6502

Once you get blink lvl 2 it gets a lot easier to stealth around. The game was amazing. I already beat it. You have 3 possible endings which is ok I suppose. I went and looked at them on youtube and wasn't too thrilled with the different endings. My only complaint about the game was that as an assassin game I felt there were not enough benefits to actually assassinate people. I really was just a rampant strangler no one could stop.

9. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    The reviews of this soured my expectations from media outlets. I know most reviews are disappointing, but this has been over the top. Its fun, but I would give it a C overall, because yes, IT IS AVERAGE.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Try to put the bodies on a slightly elevated surface. If you're in an area where they could be a bunch of rats, they'll eat an unconscious guy just as happily as they will a dead one.

11. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

12. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Finally started it, really enjoying it so far!

Taking a rather stealthy approach, can't be bothered with the "no kill" BS though. I'm dropping those guys left and right or having my rats attack them - too much fun! :)

Does anyone actually read all those journal entries and such? I guess I am impatient, but it's just really too much reading for me, keeps interrupting the game flow. Am I missing out on much?

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I played stealthy non Lethal. Adds a lot more strategy to your play, but...... It's a pain in the ass if you accidentally kill a person or they die in their unconscious state and you have to replay the entire level again....

Look forward to Dishonored 2.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm slowly working my way through the game and I'm enjoying it. I love the fact that I can just sneak past everything but sometimes I just have to kill at least one of the guards...just have to:D

I would of liked the game to be more of open world type because I love the oil painting look and the blink power is just awesome for exploring.

Bless

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I didn't care for this game anywhere near as much as I had hoped... not sure why... I think I was hoping for a more open Assassins Creed type world but instead felt very confined. I think it's one of those times that my expectations were out of whack with the product and I brought my own disappointment.

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yeah, same here. I love the game world, the graphical/artistic style; but I just found it too limiting. I understand it's hard to make games that are big, open and yet full of detail & character.. but I would have liked a more open city.

I think I'd have preferred a 3rd party view as well; sometimes it really felt like you were just an arm and a knife sliding around the place; with no real connection to the environment.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Weird. I'm the complete opposite. I love 3rd person games, but 1st person has a tendency to make me feel more like I'm "there" when it's well done. Like there isn't a disconnect between me and the environment.

18. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

1st mission: 46 hostiles killed
    2nd mission: 28 hostiles killed

Not quite the "Ghost" yet, but I'm getting better! :D

19. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

3rd mission: 2 hostiles killed, none alerted! :D

Got me my Specter Trophy, now I can go back to killing people!

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lol.... :)

But don't you want the best ending ?

21. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Not necessarily, no. :D

I'll play it the way I enjoy it the most and see whatever ending I get. I'll likely go back at some point and do the "Ghost" thing, but not on my first playthrough.

22. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

When I finish the game, does it give me some statistic, such as hours played, number of people killed/alerted, stuff like that?

I'd really like to keep track of that while I play, but there doesn't seem to be a stat screen.

My people killed count should be well over a hundred by now, I pretty much cleaned out the entire Dunwall Tower in the Lord Regent mission! :D

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep I believe so.

I'm going to pick up the DLC pack shortly as it looks Interesting.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's been a bit since I played, but I seem to vaguely recall something being buried in there that tells you your stats.

You're gonna get the depressing ending. :p