Disk activity sounds?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nowebuty, Jun 28, 2012.

1. nowebuty macrumors newbie

Hi! Is it normal that my 2012 classic mbp does not have any activity sounds? I'm speaking of the fast paced "clicking" sounds, typical of computers when they process something. I'm asking because my earlier mac, a mini, did not have these sounds out of the box and a logic board and hdd failure followed several months later and the activity noises where back when I got the computer repaired and now on my new macbook they are absent as well. Is it normal or should I expect a hardware failure?

2. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

If your hard drive is clicking, that's likely indicative of an imminent hard drive failure. I wouldn't worry about it if it's quiet.

3. nowebuty thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't mean the HDD clicks, i mean the sounds that usually indicate computer activity. Sorry, I don't know how to explain it better :(

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

The noise you hear during periods of activity is in fact the hard drive moving.

Quiet in a MacBook is a good sign.

5. nowebuty thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great, thank you for the reply :) I was uneasy because of the absence of these sounds - when I got my mini back after the hdd/logic board replacement, those hdd sounds were back and I had no problems since so I naturally assumed that they should be there in in the MBP as well - so when I noticed that the only sound I could hear from the computer was the fan hum I was worried. Thank you again for some peace of mind ;)