disk burn

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CheeseBread365, Oct 8, 2017.

1. CheeseBread365 macrumors regular

CheeseBread365

is there any way i can get a mac os x tiger disk to work on a imac g5 even though i burned it on a windows pc

2. mp2017 macrumors regular

Can you provide more information by what you mean by "burned it on a windows pc"? If it was an ISO image or a disc copy then it shouldn't matter which platform your burned it on. If it was some other means we'd need to know more details. What was the source from which you burned it?

3. CheeseBread365 thread starter macrumors regular

CheeseBread365

im going to burn a .dmg file onto a dvd-R USING WINDOWS then try to attemp to use it on a imac g5 that dosnt have a operating system as the .dmg is a mac os x tiger installer

4. mp2017 macrumors regular

It's likely the Windows system is burning the .dmg file to the disc and not burning the image it represents. Thus you're not burning a Tiger image but merely a file. .dmg is a format used by Macintosh systems and it's unlikely the burning software you're using understands it as an image format. Maybe someone else can advise if there's a Windows, I assume Windows when you say PC, based burning software that understands .dmg files.

5. CheeseBread365 thread starter macrumors regular

CheeseBread365

is there any burning software i can get that does understand .dmg files? also, the .dmg is in a zipped folder

6. mp2017 macrumors regular

It looks as if PowerISO can do it.

7. CheeseBread365 thread starter macrumors regular

CheeseBread365

thanks
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    wait. im burning a 2 GB file, can the free version of powerISO do that?
    i burned it but my imac still wont read it? do i have to do something else to get it to boot from home-made disks? am i not supposed to hold down c?
    would it be possible for me to put the installer on a usb flash drive instead of a disk?
    if i used a flash drive, how would i boot from it?

8. Kumar007 macrumors newbie

Kumar007