Disk burned with iDVD won't play

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kris1212, Nov 2, 2009.

1. kris1212 macrumors newbie

Philadelphia PA home of the Fightin' Phils!
    Tried but couldn't find an answer to this exact question. Here's the situation: I created a movie project in iMovie, then burned it to a DVD using iDVD. The burned DVD plays in my iMac but will not play in a DVD player. I get a Cannot play this type of disk error message. I used a DVD-R disk (Memorex). I can provide more information if needed to figure this out, but is there a simple answer as to why this would happen? The DVD player says it plays DVD-R disks. The disk works in my computer. Any ideas from the experts?

2. moviemaven macrumors newbie

i-dvd 6 burned dvds wont play on dvd players, only on computers

I have had a similar problem. I have a dual 2.5 ghz power g-5. For many years i burned hundreds of dvds using i-dvd, and they all played perfectly on sony or other dvd players. Recently, with i-dvd 6 i made a movie in final cut express, and created a dvd in i-dvd 6. i burned several copies, all of which played
    fine in several different brands of computers, including macs and pcs. HOWEVER
    when played on various Sony dvd players, the dvd continually stops and/or breaks up at various points in the playback. On some dvd players it simply starts up after each freeze. On others it simply breaks up and wont continue
    playing. This happens with any of the several discs I burned.

Since this problem never occurred before, i must assume it relates to i-dvd 6
    as oppossed to earlier versions. My playback of a movie through a projector
    at an event was ruined because of this issue. I had no idea the dvd wouldnt
    play back on a dvd player.

What is the solution???

3. Buzz Bumble Guest

Sometimes it can be the brand of disc. Different brands use different dyes, and some (especially older) DVD and CD players can't see read dyes as well as others.

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Check the format of the movie. Some players won't play all formats, but 1 or 2 of them, similar to CD players several years ago.