Disk cannot be partitioned, Help?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KidZgOtMac, Mar 8, 2012.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

I was running Win7 Pro but I deleted the partition so that I could make a bigger one. Once I went to install this message comes up every time. What do I do?

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved
    Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

2. ThisFool macrumors newbie

is your disk empty or do you have lion installed on it?

3. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Maybe you should try this ( time machine for backup to an external drive ):

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

4. murphychris macrumors 6502a

This message is telling you to reformat your hard drive, restore from backup, and try using Boot Camp again.

The question I have is, how does deleting a partition allow you to make it bigger unless you're deleting at least two partitions and making one out of them both?

It's unfortunate that Boot Camp is such a brain dead tool. The ability to do what you want from command line is mostly present already, it's just that Boot Camp doesn't give you access to it. With some additional free tools, it would also have been possible to resize the Windows NTFS partition without deleting it in the first place.