Disk change - voids warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marclondon, Feb 15, 2010.

1. marclondon macrumors regular

I've just asked Apple support (on the telephone) if they'll ship me a replacement for a noisy hard drive and they've just told me to go to the Apple store as it voids the warranty if I change it myself. Now I told the guy I had changed it anyway so I could check it was the drive, and he said he wouldn't record that on the status. I asked why the drive and memory are supported as user changeable, and he said that's for when the warranty runs out... Is this correct?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It depends on what model MBP you have. However, I believe most intel models all have user upgradable HDDs and anything from late 2008 onward certainly does. It's even in their customer manual.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

No it isn't for when the warranty runs out.

The only thing is that when you upgrade those personally, Apple won't have it documented and if during a subsequent visit to the Apple store for a HD repair, they will only replace the drive with the one that was last installed according to their records. It doesn't matter if it's the same, but if you had something better in it, you most likely will get downgraded to the HD on record.

4. npep macrumors member

I have an early 2008 Macbook pro and I have replaced the hard drive and have had warranty work. No problems and questions asked about the hard drive. Sounds like a clueless support guy. Call again or go to a store.

5. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

so basically they're saying "we're willing to replace the part under warranty, provided we or our authorized repair facilites perform the labor"

Sounds like typical business "cover your ***" speak to me and perfectly reasonable.

6. marclondon thread starter macrumors regular

I assumed he meant it voids the warranty of the whole machine, not the disk. He went away to consult an engineer so maybe it's the engineer who's wrong? I bought the machine as a company purchase so am a bit upset they didn't offer better service as the hours it will cost me to go to the Apple store in London outweigh the cost of buying a new drive. If I could just take the drive back and swap it that would be OK but they ask you to leave the computer with them for most of the day.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with a 120GB unit I've installed myself and I've now mounted the noisy 250GB unit in an external enclosure. But it would have been nice if Apple had just sent me a new disk as I've bought two Macbook Pros and a Mac Mini from them recently.