Disk Drill *** Help*** how to

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macximus, Aug 15, 2011.

1. macximus macrumors newbie

Hi all. need some help if you would.

I just downloaded Disk Drill on my macbook pro to recover some pictures and movie files from a Seagate external hard drive I have. The external drive was giving me a :

"disk not formatted do you wan to format now"

...wow!! I thought... all these pics wewre gone. Well? after doing some forum reserach, thanks to you all again I found 'Disk Drill'.

At the moment It is scanning an so far recovering the data....So my question is/are:

After I recover all data ( are these recovered files going into my mac's HD ?and if so can I use the same external hard drive (Seagate) to re-store back all the pics and videos?...do i have to re format it first?

OR do they stay in the Seagate external hard drive all together...they're just getting fixed/restored there?...

How does this work siince I have never been in a situation like this. I just want to save all the pictures and movies , but also like to store it back somewhere else other than my Mac's internal HD.

Thank you all so very much in advance for any help i can have on the subject.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I believe you would be the one controlling that using your recovery program, I haven't personally used it, but somewhere in the preferences it probably tells you where it will put the files.

I strongly advice you buy a new external, and use your current one with caution, it already crapped out once, and it's going to do it again for sure. All hard drives eventually fail, if those files are really important to you, I'd advice you to have more than one backup.

3. macximus thread starter macrumors newbie

what external hard drive to buy...need advice...

Thank you for you advice.

would you recomend a particluar external hard drive pc/mac compatible I can use/buy ? Im not looking for an expensive unit, just to get by for now to store movies and pictures.

Thanks again.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Any hard drive out there will be both mac and PC compatible, do not be fooled by "Mac compatible" advertising, as simply formatting with disk utility is all that is needed to make a hard drive mac compatible.

If you want to go cheap, get the cheapest USB 2.5" enclosure you can find on newegg.com, and add a cheap 2.5" hard drive, and you're done, for well under $100.