Disk Drive broken, and selling computer, removing personal information?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pienaarteta, Nov 2, 2008.

1. pienaarteta macrumors newbie

The title says it all really; how do I remove the personal information etc from my white Macbook for sale, when the disk drive isn't reading.

Any suggestions?

Much appreciate your time, thanks.

2. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

By disk drive, you mean the hard drive right? :confused:

Have you attempted a restore onto the disk to see if it is truly broken?

If it is broken, you can always follow the instructions on ifixit.com to remove the hard drive prior to sale. Hope that helps.

3. pienaarteta thread starter macrumors newbie

The super drive is broken, so I can't use the Mac OSX cd disk to delete my info.

Suggestions?

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If you have one, you could plug in an external DVD drive and boot your OS X disk from that. If not then you have the option of replacing or just removing the hard drive. Sounds like a pretty dysfunctional system, good luck selling it.

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

You can also connect it to another mac that is in Target disk mode and then use that optical drive to boot from the operating system. Just be sure to wipe the correct drive.
    Or you could create a dmg of your OS X operating system on another mac and copy it through network. Then create a small partition and restore the dmg there. You will then be able to boot from that partition and erase the whole drive, as well as do an install. Once done you can remove the partition.

The simplest soultion still seems to be the one of the previous poster!

6. grue macrumors 65816

does anyone actually care when this product is ready for purchase, cos i do - so stop your stupid posts, if you want to argue go and do it in another thread as you are wasting alot of peoples time posting **** as you are

all that this thread is about is when they are ready to buy nothing else, so does anyone know when that will be?

Deal with it, nancy. It'll be available when it's available.

Meanwhile, we'll carry on discussing why Apple seems to hate pro users, and love glossy rubbish.

Thanks for your replys people ^ poster thanks I'll have a look.

I've got a new aluminum macbook without firewire is there a way to do target disk mode? Otherwise I'll use my Imac.

The mac itself is fine its just the cd drive. Its working fine on Photoshop, Eye TV, Office, Illustator, Flash, I work, I life etc.

Cheers :)

One sec, is there anyway to remove personal information from a macbook?? :apple: