disk drive help on desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tomgoodall, Oct 14, 2008.

1. tomgoodall macrumors newbie

Hello, I have just bought my first mac, and got a macbook pro.
    I have downloaded certain software such as VLC and have noticed what appear to be disk drives/virtual disk drives on the right hand sde of the desktop under the hard drive link. These are quite large and I have downloaded several programs that have these. I tried deleting them, but then the application wouldnt start and I tried dragging the disk drive to 'applications' but this made no difference once the desktop link was deleted.

Is it possible to get rid of these icons at the side and keep the program running properly? And if so how please? I have tried looking through guides, but with no luck.

Please help! I hope I have been clear in what I mean, but will be happy to give more details if needed. Thank you, Thomas Goodall.

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

So if you have downloaded something of the net it gets mounted as a virtual drive. YOu need to open that , drag the application out of it into your Applications folder.

Once you have down that you can drag the mounted drive to the trash and eject it safetly, then delete the downloaded file.

3. tomgoodall thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, I think I've gotten it to work. Sorry for the silly question, I'm just so unused to working with a mac. Loving it so far though, thanks again for helping me out! I will be sure to post all my problems here.