Disk Drive Is Full, except I'm pretty sure it's not.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Autistic Lemon, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Autistic Lemon macrumors newbie

Hi, so I just got a new macbook for christmas, which was less than a week ago. So needles to say when I got a notice saying that my disk drive was full when I tried to download it I wasn't too happy. I've only downloaded a few things since I've got it, a few fun widgets, a program here or there, but that's about it.
    I've tried restarting it and deleting a few files that I figured I didn't need, and yes, I deleted them, I didn't just throw them in the trash bin.
    So if anyone has any ideas about what I can do to fix this? Remember that I can't download anything.
    I'm running Leopard if that helps at all.
    Thanks

2. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Did you perhaps try to create a local copy of your iDisk? (if you have MobileMe)

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Open a Finder window. What does it say for available space along the bottom? If that's low, then your disk space is low, even if it shouldn't be.

If that's so, you need to find out what's taking up the space. Download GrandPerspective and use it to scan your hard drive. Of course, you may have to clear some space first, although it's not a big program.

Check if there's a large log file in /var/log (Open Terminal and type: cd /var/log; ls -la)

4. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

I'm stumped, Try downloading iStat and see what the HD indicators telling you.
    You may have a faulty HD, if you haven't already go to genius bar, it's worth a shot.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

This could be a TimeMachine backup error, which this forum seems to be getting flooded with at the moment, but anyway go to Time Machine --> Preferences and Make sure the slider on the left is on 'OFF' if it isnt, press the lock and slide it to the off position.

6. Autistic Lemon thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it out using GrandPerspective.
    It showed me that all of my music was taking it up?
    I have like 50GB of music, when I deleted it all it freed up.
    I have all of the music backed up on another computer, so it's no big deal.
    But still, I'm bummed out that all of my music took up the room.