Disk encryption options on Mac ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by msingh, Dec 24, 2008.

1. msingh macrumors newbie

I am a life long Unix/Linux user. I am currently evaluating Mac OSX for a notebook system.

Though it does not appear to be as powerful as Linux (my prior experiences with BSDs have been limited), it does appear to be slightly easier to use in situations where I envisage this system will be used - making presentations (I am a diehard LaTeX + beamer fan - so do not try to sell inferior systems like Impress, Powerpoint or Keynote to me - I have tried them all), writing up occasional Word documents (for my colleagues who are too lazy to bother with LaTeX and crossover linux is not stable enough), etc.

However, I have not found a native LUKS disk encryption system for Mac OSX yet. I tried out OSXCrypt, but it caused a hang of the boot of the Macbook I am using to learn about this. All my disks and backups are LUKS encrypted. Call me paranoid, but that is the way things are.

Truecrypt is NOT an option :

1. It does not read LUKS volumes.
    2. It does not support full disk encryption.
    3. Even if I accept folder level encryption as the price of using Mac OSX, it does not allow variable volume sizes (it requires the size of the volume to be specified ahead of time - unlike encfs).

I have read enough horror stories about FileVault (regardless of its capabilities) to steer clear of it.

I have looked at PGP Whole Disk Encryption. The reviews appear to be good but some people say that it kills throughput (unlike LUKS which has minimal effect on performance). The question is - does it read LUKS ?

I have terabytes of data accumulated over the years. I am not going to go through the hassle of moving it to some newfangled untested, and possibly unreliable system.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. walshlink macrumors regular

Try it...

I have PGP WDE...works fine for me. I haven't seen any noticeable throughput degredation, but I am sure there is some. Send PGP an e-mail and see if they will let you to download an evaluation package...