Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spda242

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with installing Swedish Windows 7 SP1 Prof 64-bit on my Mac Pro 1.1.

I have created a new install DVD with the oscdimg (oscdimg.exe -n -m -bd:\boot\etfsboot.com d:\ c:\windows7x64.iso) command in Windows according to http://sergiomcfly.blogspot.com/2008/04/select-cd-rom-boot-type-when-installing.html.

I have followed the instruction in Bootcamp install guide.

I have four HDD/SSD's total in my computer

1) 1TB HDD Called Macintosh HD2
2) 80GB SDD Called Macintosh SSD
3) 160GB SSD Called Macintosh HD (OSX 10.6.8)
4) 750GB HDD 2 partitions Called Musik/WindowsD

I have created BOOTCAMP partitions on both my 80GB SSD and 1TB HDD with the same result, I successfully create the BOOTCAMP partition, computer reboot I begin installing Windows 7, I choose to a new install and I need to go into advanced options to format the BOOTCAMP partition (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1180693/). Windows installer continues succesfully up to the first reboot.

After reboot the computer complains "Disk Error, Press any key to reboot...".

When I google the error, I get a gazillion of answers that I need to format my Bootcamp partition but I have done that!
I can see that there are files on my Bootcamp partitions from OSX.

Has anyone seen/solved this.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

On the Mac Pro I generally recommend using a separate drive for Windows and removing (at least temporarily) all other drives.

Would that be possible for you?

B

spda242

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

On the Mac Pro I generally recommend using a separate drive for Windows and removing (at least temporarily) all other drives.

Would that be possible for you?

B

Yeah, it would be possible, do you mean remove all drives or all Windows drives?

I think I maybe has found a problem? I had a Windows Vista installation earlier which I removed but I still got the old Windows D: (NTFS) and a Windows E: (FAT32) on the PATA connector (I forgot to mention i earlier).

Looking closing at the Win7 installation it looked like it had made the new Bootcamp drive E: and I found traces that Windows had written boot-information to the other drives today. I thinking that maybe Bootcamp/Windows are confused atm which drive to boot from so I am temporarily removing those other windows drives during install to see what happends.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Exactly why I suggest removing all other drives during the install. Windows is very particular about things like "first drive" and "first active partition" so don't give it a chance to make the wrong choice.

B

spda242

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Hi,

I reformated all FAT32/NTFS partitions to HFS temporarily and now I get 0x80300024 error instead "Disk Error" so tomorrow I will remove all other HDD/SSDs during install as suggested by you.

Thanks for the help!

//Patrik

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
64-bit on my Mac Pro 1.1.

Dunno why I missed it before. You do know that the MP1,1 does not officially support 64 bit and that you usually need to modify the installer using "jowie's method".

EDIT: It looks like the original blog is gone, but references to it are still around. Maybe the wayback machine. e.g https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/825971/

e.g. http://web.archive.org/web/20090630...t-from-Vista-x64-DVD-burnt-from-iso-file.aspx

Doesn't seem like this is definitely your issue, but it is a known issue with your combination.

B

spda242

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
@balamw Thanks for all your help! I could install Win7 when I removed EVERY drive except the BOOTCAMP drive from my Mac Pro as you suggested. I still have 2 partitions on it, no problem.

I chosed an alternative way to create a Working Windows 7 DVD using "oscdimg.exe -n -m -bd:\boot\etfsboot.com d:\ c:\windows7x64.iso", where D: are the original Win7 DVD since I couldn't find complete instrutions (with pictures) for "jowie's method" :)

AND A WORD OF WARNING TO WHO EVER READS THIS!!!

After install of Windows and Bootcamp I MADE THE INSANELY STUPID DECISION TO CHANGE DRIVELETTERS FOR MY HFS VOLUMES!!!
KIDS!!! DON'T TRY THAT AT HOME!!!

Changing Driveletters in Windows will mess with your partitiontable and your Mac will no longer be able to correctly see your HFS volume anymore so you will NOT be able to boot into OSX anymore.
I found a solution for that problem though, you can correct the situation with diskpart and gdisk. See https://discussions.apple.com/message/11227763?messageID=11227763&#11227763

//Patrik

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.