Disk Errors in Fusion. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jacobp, Nov 15, 2007.

1. jacobp macrumors member

Hello. I am a Mac newbie so forgive the stupid questions.

I installed vmware Fusion on my iMac. At some point, during the install of some programs on the Windows side, Fusion got hung up and I had to do a hard reboot of the system.

When I next launched Fusion and Windows, I got the screen indicating that there were disk errors and that the system (Windows) would fix them. It ran through the process and booted up Windows.

I'm wondering if I should just kill the Fusion program and start over with it and Windows. Or if I should run a disk defragger on the Windows side, etc.? Your thoughts.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Have you tried rebooting Windows again to see if it boots OK without reporting any errors? If it boots OK then Windows has probably fixed the file system errors and you're good. If it reports errors every time you boot, then you might want to delete the virtual machine and start over. I doubt that de-fragging on the Windows side will fix what Windows thinks is a file system problem.

3. jacobp thread starter macrumors member

It does boot up OK now, so maybe its good to go. Thanks for your help.

By the way, does it make sense to run a defragger on the Windows side from time to time?

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I don't believe fragmentation is such an issue with NTFS as it used to be with the old FAT file systems, so personally I wouldn't bother. You could check once in a while to see how much fragmentation you have, but unless you're using Windows heavily then I think you could probably leave it altogether