Disk Errors

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by aoaaron, Apr 26, 2012.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

I'm getting a disk error every 2 days now to the extent I need to boot into Lion Recovery mode to fix it. Otherwise the computer gets sluggish. Why is this and how can I fix it? Its getting incredibly annoying!

2. simsaladimbamba

What exact disk error do you get?
    Can you make a screenshot and attach it to your next post?
    What exact Mac do you use and is it the original HDD or did you replace it with a new HDD or SSD?
    What does Disk Utility say, when you Verify Disk on it?
    Do you have a current backup, maybe even a bootable one?

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I suspect your HDD is going south. I would backup everything to a clone and replace your internal HDD>

4. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

disk errors as in when i verify disk it comes up with errors and tells me to repair them...

i've only had the laptop for a year and the HDD is already messing up? can i take this to the apple store and get a replacement HDD?

I still have 2 years left on my applecare!

how do i get proof of all this? etc. so there aren't too many questions... cba with that.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would take it to the Apple store since you have Apple Care. HDDs are strange beasts; some will last for 10 years, others fail in 10 days.

6. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, an update on my problem.

Basically, if I switch on my MBP from sleep, it will be so slow. Literally loading apps takes ages. If i restart, its pretty fast but again still sluggishy.

Can I just take it to the apple store and they will sort it out? How does it all work? I've never really used apple care/suppport... I have no idea how it all works but I'd love for this to be sorted.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

just take it to the Apple store, describe, show...

8. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

got it, problem if i "repair the disk" every like month then its reasonable fine. but even then, booting apps takes way longer than it should.

a restart solves the problem for like a couple of hours.

i dunno if its easily replicable in store.

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Do you use one of the Obtibay-solutions (SSD/HDD combo)? Some SATA-cables can cause data corruption or slow data transfers.

10. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope thats why I'm pissed off. I've done nothing to my computer at all. I bought it for a lot of money and a year onwards, it takes 10-30 seconds to open itunes.

Its horrible.

Google chrome lags when opening. One opened, the applications are fine. I only have dropbox, evernote and Xmarks installed on my PC which boot up.

I just want the problem sorted but I've never dealt with apple nor know how to given the problem is a bit of a weird one to explain :/

I got a Lacie HD from them which broke after 4 months so now no backup either. I'm seriously pissed off and annoyed today about it. :( I paid a premium yet I've got more problems. Its ever since I went to lion.