Disk for Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Baldrake, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Baldrake macrumors 6502

My 4-year old time capsule is starting to throw up errors, so I'm looking at replacing it.

What's the current thinking of best hard drive to support time machine? I was initially thinking a NAS, but they are awfully expensive. What solutions are you all using to do time machine on your LAN?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Right now I'm running a Time Capsule AC with a 2nd 3TB external. But looking at options, I'm actually thinking I might install Server on my Mini and use that.

3. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Save your money and buy a regular desktop drive from HGST (Touro) or some such, and invest in a CrashPlan subscription. If you want to be paranoid like me you can use Carbon Copy to clone your drive to a disk, Time Machine to backup to another, CrashPlan to locally backup to another and to their servers. Please don't do network Time Machine with OS X server–that is nothing but problems in my experience. You have no idea how many hours I have spent at client locations having to mess with OS X server Time Machine service to try to make it behave itself.