Disk Full Error #-34

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by denseMacUser, Dec 26, 2007.

1. denseMacUser macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 - Memory 512 MB - Version 10.2.8 (gee I keep my head down working and now I am so far behind in version updates - which is another topic for another time on getting that updated)

Problems:
    Attempted to send things to printers the other day and various error messages showed that there was a problem with the printers. I decided to "start fresh" and just reset up my printers in the print center printer listing. I was able to reload my laser jet hp but it would not allow me to add my hp 9600 color printer. So now I only have access to one printer and the error messages continue and I still am unable to get anything to print.

Then today I attempted to load a CD to burn some files and clean up the computer files and archive them onto disks... I am now getting an error message -34 start up Disk full.

I currently have 59 GB available on my computer.

So... I cant utilize the CD burner to remove files and store them....
    I cant get anything to print with either of my printers.... These have to be related in some way, but I have no idea.

Feeling rather stupid.
    I RARELY have any problems with my computer that is why I am so stumped. I simply have so few issues that when they do occur I have no idea what I should be doing to start fixing aside from throwing money at some tech person to do it. Ugh.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That is very weird... What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

3. denseMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

troubleshooting

For the printer:
    Well, I have checked all cords to printers to make sure that they are not loose. Made sure that there were no paper jams or low inks. I shut off all printers. Restarted the computer. (several times - adding prayers after each shut down)

Attempted to print using several software options (photoshop, illustrator, word, Quark) to rule out a software specific issues. I tried to print a photo, tried to print just a simple text document (which I have printed before so I knew that it didnt have anything strange within the document) no success.

In the Print Center I have attempted to add a printer (my HP 9600) I get the message "error 2"

For the CD:
    Loaded several empty disks to make sure that it wasnt just a bad disk.
    I also pulled an archived disk with data on it and it WOULD read it. Its just when I try to burn an empty CD seems to be when the error message comes up.

Nothing fancy - just the basic type of checks.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Unless anyone else has any better suggestions I would do an archive and install of the operating system.

Before doing so I suggest getting an external hard drive to backup your data. They are really cheap now for the capacity.

Otherwise it'll be worth upgrading to Tiger (10.4)/Leopard (10.5) and adding some more RAM to your machine.

5. perplexedd macrumors newbie

Same problems...

Came across your thresd while investigating my own problems with my G5 - I am suffering exactly the same problems even though i have pleny of memory.

Did you ever resolve this problem and if so please could you tell me how as I am really worried??

Thanks!

6. denseMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

Problems resolved

Yes, the problems were resolved. I ended up taking it to my local Mac service guy because I could not even install an external hard drive to back up everything before I started messing with the software. In addition, the computer would not allow me to even install a new operating system either. The service guy had no problems updating my entire computer and ran checks to make sure that everything was working. They have a way of doing updates that is a bit different so they did not run into any problems when doing the updates.

The computer is now running the most current operating system...
    It now has an external hard drive.
    It now has 2 additional gb of memory.

I have not run into any problems now that all this has been done. Printers are all working, error messages have gone away.

7. perplexedd macrumors newbie

Thanks!

good - that your problems are resolved
    bad - that it looks like I will have to get professional help...(I can't bear to be without my Mac!)

...unless anyone else has any experience of these problems??