Disk Full on MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rwpeck1111, Dec 18, 2007.

1. rwpeck1111 macrumors newbie

My daughter has a MacBook with a 60Gb drive and Finder shows she has only 1.3Gb free. I'm not a Mac user myself but i can't see it being possible. We did a search on any file larger than 100Mb and only turned up one. She has lots of images (art major) but I really can't imagine that she has enough to fill that size drive.

Since I'm Mac-challenged, does anyone here know what might be filling up her drive? Maybe zillions of files smaller than 100mb or maybe files hidden by the OS? Does the OS make multiple swap files, or do some really excessive temp file hording?

Many thanks in advance.

2. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Some quick places to check- Her iTunes library. If she has a lot of music, it can add up fast. If there are no single files greater than 100MB, you can rule out movies, which are space hogs. How many images does she have? Check the size of her "Music" and "Pictures" folders, and that may give you a better idea where the space is being used.

Those folder will be in Macintosh HD-->Users-->"daughter's username"

Select the folder and click on the File menu, and go to "Get info".

3. rwpeck1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You can also try a little program called WhatSize to help determine where the drive space is going.

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

seeing as though it is only 60gb i can see how that would fill up very quickly. that isn't a lot of space nowadays. it may be true that she has just grown out of the 60bg drive and maybe due for an upgrade, which can be had very cheap.