Disk full

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mercedes, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mercedes macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've got a MBP. Today I was uploading some pictures of my camera and it told me, that my disk is nearly full. I went to the finder and saw that i only have 8 GB left. I know, i've got about 20 GB pictures and 63 GB of music. But where did the other GB go and why does it tell me in iTunes i have 12 GB of music but in the finder i've got 63 GB? Anyway i could make the music files smaller or do you have any other tips? I'm kinda desperate cause I've got this Macbook 2 years ago and I'm planning to use at least another 2 years.

Thanks in advance.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You never said the size of your HD

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

download OmniDiskSweeper, it will produce a sorted (by space) view of your hard drive, so you'll see at the top of the view, the largest folders/files. you can then determine your next course of action.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Also, remember the stated size of your HD is not the actual size you will see

Check out the Guide here at MR: Hard Drive Size Discrepancy

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Maybe you have double of all your music? If you don't change the settings in iTunes, iTunes will automatically copy any music you transfer into it and create new files in the iTunes directory.

You could free up some space by erasing unnecessary printer drivers. Go into HD > Library > Printers and erase the ones you don't need.

6. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

If you've got a lot of apps that will take up room. There are lots of other things that will take up space.

With regards to your music, is it all in your iTunes library?

7. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

download xslimmer. Run genie and that should free up some gigs.

8. mercedes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips.
    I think that the Capacity is 150 GB.

Could be, what should i delete and how can I change this setting? But the problem is that the Music files in iTunes have only 12 GB and the in the finder they're 63 GB big.

My Apps are "only" 7 GB big and all my music is in the iTunes library.

Regards,

------

I think I got it, the whole podcasts are killing all my Gigabytes...
    Thx Maflynn for the wonderful app and thx for all the other responses.

9. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

Do you have movies, apps, audiobooks etc in iTunes? Are you including these in the iTunes reading as well? As far as I'm aware, these are added to the 'music' folder in finder as well. I may be wrong though.

10. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

OK, we need some basic information. Use "get info" for the your hard drive and post the screen shot. That will tell us your hard drive size and how much you are using. Then do the same with your user folder. That will tell us where the most files are.

11. 3rdLittlePiggie macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

Also, get WhatSize! I love this App, scans everything and will highlight in red the areas on your drive that are taking up the most space, and then you can right click and move them to the trash, also, have you considered maybe moving your photos to DVDs or getting an external HD?