Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mercedes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
switzerland
Hi,

I've got a MBP. Today I was uploading some pictures of my camera and it told me, that my disk is nearly full. I went to the finder and saw that i only have 8 GB left. I know, i've got about 20 GB pictures and 63 GB of music. But where did the other GB go and why does it tell me in iTunes i have 12 GB of music but in the finder i've got 63 GB? Anyway i could make the music files smaller or do you have any other tips? I'm kinda desperate cause I've got this Macbook 2 years ago and I'm planning to use at least another 2 years.

Thanks in advance.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You never said the size of your HD

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
download OmniDiskSweeper, it will produce a sorted (by space) view of your hard drive, so you'll see at the top of the view, the largest folders/files. you can then determine your next course of action.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Also, remember the stated size of your HD is not the actual size you will see

Check out the Guide here at MR: Hard Drive Size Discrepancy

Hard Drive Size Discrepancy

Why does my new 500 GB hard drive report it only has 465 GB? Have I been ripped off?

No, you haven't been ripped off. 500 GB = 465 GB, strange as it seems.

The reason is that computers count a "kilo" something as 1024 (binary 2^10) while the rest of the world count a "kilo" as 1000 (decimal 10^3). A 'mega' in computer binary system is 1024 x 1024 = 1,048,576 (rather than decimal 1,000,000), and a 'giga' is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1,073,741,824 rather than decimal 1,000,000,000

This creates a discrepancy of approximately 7% between the number of GB the computer reports, and what is advertised as the drive's capacity in GB. It is important to note that there is no difference in the number of actual bytes of storage - it is only a difference in reporting when the binary 'giga' terminology is used.

A 500 GB hard drive has about 500,000,000,000 bytes (it is never exact, commonly a drive is designed to have more bytes, to allow for a certain number of defective sectors to be mapped out). When counted on the computer, 500 Gb (decimal) = 500 billion bytes = 465.66 GB (binary).

Some propose using a different term, gibibyte (GiB) for the binary figure, however that is unlikely to catch on in the marketplace.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Maybe you have double of all your music? If you don't change the settings in iTunes, iTunes will automatically copy any music you transfer into it and create new files in the iTunes directory.

You could free up some space by erasing unnecessary printer drivers. Go into HD > Library > Printers and erase the ones you don't need.

killianb

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
UK
If you've got a lot of apps that will take up room. There are lots of other things that will take up space.

With regards to your music, is it all in your iTunes library?

mercedes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
switzerland
Thanks for the tips.
You never said the size of your HD

I think that the Capacity is 150 GB.

Maybe you have double of all your music? If you don't change the settings in iTunes, iTunes will automatically copy any music you transfer into it and create new files in the iTunes directory.

Could be, what should i delete and how can I change this setting? But the problem is that the Music files in iTunes have only 12 GB and the in the finder they're 63 GB big.

If you've got a lot of apps that will take up room. There are lots of other things that will take up space.

With regards to your music, is it all in your iTunes library?

My Apps are "only" 7 GB big and all my music is in the iTunes library.

Regards,

------

I think I got it, the whole podcasts are killing all my Gigabytes...
Thx Maflynn for the wonderful app and thx for all the other responses.

killianb

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
UK
Thanks for the tips.

I think that the Capacity is 150 GB.

Could be, what should i delete and how can I change this setting? But the problem is that the Music files in iTunes have only 12 GB and the in the finder they're 63 GB big.

My Apps are "only" 7 GB big and all my music is in the iTunes library.

Regards,

Do you have movies, apps, audiobooks etc in iTunes? Are you including these in the iTunes reading as well? As far as I'm aware, these are added to the 'music' folder in finder as well. I may be wrong though.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
Hi,

I've got a MBP. Today I was uploading some pictures of my camera and it told me, that my disk is nearly full. I went to the finder and saw that i only have 8 GB left. I know, i've got about 20 GB pictures and 63 GB of music. But where did the other GB go and why does it tell me in iTunes i have 12 GB of music but in the finder i've got 63 GB? Anyway i could make the music files smaller or do you have any other tips? I'm kinda desperate cause I've got this Macbook 2 years ago and I'm planning to use at least another 2 years.

Thanks in advance.

OK, we need some basic information. Use "get info" for the your hard drive and post the screen shot. That will tell us your hard drive size and how much you are using. Then do the same with your user folder. That will tell us where the most files are.

3rdLittlePiggie

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
Kansas City
Also, get WhatSize! I love this App, scans everything and will highlight in red the areas on your drive that are taking up the most space, and then you can right click and move them to the trash, also, have you considered maybe moving your photos to DVDs or getting an external HD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.