Disk I/O really slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by freejazz-man, Jan 17, 2013.

1. freejazz-man macrumors regular

I have a mac pro that is really slow when it comes to moving files off the HDD to shared storage or removable media

I've reinstalled the OS - although not after zero-ing out the HDD, so perhaps that is the best bet

I was hoping that there was someone who has experienced this situation before and might know of somethings I can do besides completely zero-ing out the computer and reinstalling the OS.

booting the computer up is an incredibly slow process, before the OS loads even - it can take 10 minutes to get through the screen you get when you boot with option held down

2. simsaladimbamba

3. freejazz-man thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips - I used xbench and the stats seem relatively fine

I have 3 internal HDDs. The all have relatively similar scores - nothing drastic.

The two that the OS aren't on are the oldest and apparently slowest.

When I copy files from one of those two hard drives to a shared storage device over the network - it hangs and I have to restart finder

If I copy those to the local (OS) drive and then to the shared storage it is fine

At this point my plan is to just nuke the old drives and replace them with new ones - but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this before and knows of a cache I can reset, or a timeout value that I can change to prevent this behavior.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

The one time I did have a storage device issue (which was nothing at all like yours) on my mac, I did a PRAM reset, and an SMC reset. I'm not sure which of these fixed the issue, but the issue was resolved.

5. freejazz-man thread starter macrumors regular

I did a pram reset which made it not take 20 minutes to select the boot drive

I'll check out the SMC reset next time, thanks