Disk Icons

Discussion in 'iMac' started by swiftflo, Dec 6, 2010.

1. swiftflo macrumors regular

I have numerous backup's on a disk. After I have added further backup's to the disk using disk utility, then eject the disk, some of the backup's I have created previously leave disk icons? on my desk top. The only way to get rid of these icons is to shut the machine down and restart.
    What is causing this problem and is there a way to stop it happening ?.

My machine is a late 2009 21.5 imac.

2. swiftflo thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone please ????????.

3. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

What process are you doing in Disk Utility? It may be making the disk images in preparation to burn from.

Have you considered Time Machine for backups?

4. swiftflo thread starter macrumors regular

In disk utility I am adding further backups to existing ones on the disk (ie multisession).

I have a Lacie backup external disk so maybe I could use that ?.

Time machine ?.:confused:

5. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

It sound like they disk images are just burnable disc icons.

Time Machine - In system preferences you will see time machine. Its just a back up program that backs up every hour automatically. (or whenever you want manually). You will need an empty Hard drive to start with.

It will back up everything on all your drives unless you tell it not to. For mine i set it to back up everyhting other than my storage/old work drives (they are backed up elsewhere). It will make back ups of all you programs and setting too. Really usefull when you buy a new Mac and when you first turn it on it gives you the option to transfer details from another mac or restore from a Time Machine backup.

6. swiftflo thread starter macrumors regular

So, if I am correct in what you are saying. Time machine backs everything up every hour to my Lacie drive.
    There is then no need to backup to other disks ?.