Disk Image as a Media Files disk?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dirty Harry, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Dirty Harry macrumors member

Just bought the new MBP 13 750GB Hard Drive! :):):)

I was thinking of partitioning the internal drive in two, one for OS and Apps, the other one for just for video media files. I know it's still one drive, but I like the feeling of having like two and keeping the whole thing portable.

A partition for video let's me format it when I need it and keep video files in a clean place.

Now, partitioning the internal drive in Lion, because of this hidden partition Apple uses for Recovery Mode, is not that easy done, and I don´t want to get into complicated and dangerous install and format strategies...

What do you thing of using a large disk image (maybe as big as 500 Gb), set with Disk Utility, as a virtual video media files disk? I would need to mount it every time I start the computer, but that's not a big drawback.

I am using Media Composer.

Thanks!

2. Dirty Harry thread starter macrumors member

3. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

Ken Stone has a lot of good articles

But as you can see in the article, they don't use the system disk. It is advisable to use an other disk. The system disk is quite often busy with system thingies and may cause hiccups for your video disk. A separate partition doesn't help, because it is the same physical drive.