Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jj1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Is there such a thing as an emulator that will allow the computer to run a disk image as a CD? Or something along those lines?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
That's what a Disc Image is. If you create a Disc Image of the CD the computer will think that the CD is available. Some games have stuff that make this not work, but in general, that is what is going on.

jj1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
kgarner said:
That's what a Disc Image is. If you create a Disc Image of the CD the computer will think that the CD is available. Some games have stuff that make this not work, but in general, that is what is going on.

Yes, but sometimes it will recognise that there us actually no disk in the drive, and not allow you to use it.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
jj1985 said:
Yes, but sometimes it will recognise that there us actually no disk in the drive, and not allow you to use it.

Otherwise known as copy protection.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
ahh, i think i get it. you want to use your downloaded programs that require cd but you dont have the cd? if that's not the case, i'm sorry i thought that--if it is, however, that sort of talk's not permitted here :eek:

jj1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
homerjward said:
ahh, i think i get it. you want to use your downloaded programs that require cd but you dont have the cd? if that's not the case, i'm sorry i thought that--if it is, however, that sort of talk's not permitted here :eek:

Oops
sorry
newbie :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.