Disk Image doesn't offer "Lock" Capabilities?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jman995x, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jman995x macrumors regular

I have a Disk Image that I've password protected, but have come to find out that even though somebody might not be able to get into it, they can still put it in the trash and delete it.

I've read some forums and everybody keeps saying, "Do a Cmd+I and select 'Locked' and that will prevent it from being deleted."

When I do a Cmd+I on the (mounted) Disk Image, there is no "Locked" option, only "Shared".
    There is a "Locked" option on the .sparseimage when I do a Cmd+I on that...however, after I "Locked" it, I tried deleting it and the computer was perfectly happy to let me delete it...which kind of goes against the purpose of locking it in the first place.

So, what am I missing?

I want to make this Disk Image un-delete-able unless I "Unlock" it or provide a password to delete it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

J.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When it's in the Trash I don't think Finder will allow you to empty the trash if the disk image file itself had the locked check box checked.

3. jman995x thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried what you suggested and you are correct.

However, this begs a new question....if somebody (besides me) can just do a CMd+I and unlock the file, then trash it, what is the purpose of locking it?

Does it boil down to me changing the Permissions in the info window so that everybody else is listed as "No Access"?...then they won't be able to Unlock the Disk Image (and therefore, not be able to trash it)?

Thanks,

Justin

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Also try click Empty Trash while holding down the Option key. It force empties it. The locked disk image will be unlocked. So in reality, there is no easy way to keep people from deleting it.

5. jman995x thread starter macrumors regular

That's too bad.
    In my former life when I was a fan of the darkside (PC's) there was a great program called "Folder Lock" that had 256-bit encryption and stealth...it was great (and hackproof). Unfortunately, they don't make a Mac version, and I can't find anything as slick and robust as that from another company.

If you know of anything like Folder Lock, please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Justin

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you don't want them to potentially delete it, don't let them have access to your account.

7. larkost macrumors 6502a

If you are trying to keep the disk image file from being deleted, then lock that file.

If you are trying to keep people from being able to mount an image, then put a password on it.

If you are trying to keep people from deleting items from within the image while mounted, then mount it read-only.

If you are trying to keep people from being able to unmount it, use the -notremovable flag.

Really... what are you trying to accomplish?