Disk Image Necessary?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smoothiemaker, Dec 11, 2008.

1. smoothiemaker macrumors newbie

Hello,

This is probably another silly question on my part, but I want to be sure before I delete something that I need.

I just got done with the semester of school and I am trying to make some spare room on my hard drive by deleting all the papers I have written, homework, etc. I am coming across all the old .dmg files for the applications I have downloaded in the past couple of months in my downloads folder.

I just want to make sure whether or not it is okay to delete these files and that it won't interfere with the apps I have now.

Thanks!

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You dont need the dmg files once you have the application installed, so you can delete them.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Nope, won't hurt a thing. I remove disk images immediately after installing new software.:)

whatever, you always beat me to it.:p

4. reubs macrumors 68000

The DMGs aren't necessary, but I'd think twice about deleting the papers and homework. If they are just text files, they'll take up minimal space. Otherwise, I'd say back them up. I can't tell you how often I wish I could reference something I wrote back in college or grad school.

Just my two cents, though!

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Agreed on not deleting school stuff. I wrote a paper (a short one) in the style of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's series, and would love to have it back, but alas I had deleted all of my work from that college to make room for junk like music, and I have no idea how I will go about getting that paper again. It's entirely possible you may wish for something equally unimportant now or something far more important, and you're much safer to simply keep the small text files than junk them to save a few MB's on the computer.

jW