Disk Image onto dvd R

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kaji79, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Kaji79 macrumors member

Hi everyone! My idiot teenage son left his retail disks somewhere two states away in his dorm room. I am upgradings his hard drive from a 40 gig to a 160gig in his ibook. We are visiting family so I don't have acess to my disk either. Can I copy his drive to a dvd, and then copy it over after I install the new hard drive? I've done this before, but never with a dvd or cd.

He is running 10.5.8.

Thank you in advance!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Can you get a cheap external enclosure for the hard drive? Then you could just connect the drive to the iBook and use Carbon Copy Cloner.

3. Kaji79 thread starter macrumors member

We are kinda in the woods here, the nearest one is about a hour drive. The store wants 75$ for it ouch!

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Hmm, if you have a FireWire cable handy and your computer also uses PATA hard drives. You could place the new hard drive in your computer, then boot it up in Target Disk Mode and connect it to the iBook. Then you could run Carbon Copy Cloner on the iBook and copy the data over to the new hard drive.

5. Kaji79 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I will give that a try thank you very much!

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No problem, glad to help.

Let us know if it works :)

7. Kaji79 thread starter macrumors member

So I got everything to copy over...it boots up with no dock or apple bar. When I hit f12 the edge of the calculator comes up, and the screen is all black like dashboard.

I'm guessing I need to reset the display settings, but without being able to access system preferences how do I do this? Thanks again for all your help!

8. Kaji79 thread starter macrumors member

Another odd thing it's doing is if I move the cursor all the way to the left it goes off screen if I move it to the right it stops at the end of the monitor

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Hmm, that's odd. Try opening Disk Utility and repair Disk and repair Permissions, then reboot the computer to see if that helps.