Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
El Salvador
Hi,

I created a password protected folder in Snow Leopard. I created a new blank disk image with 128-bit encryption. Now I can mount the image, enter my password and: Access to secret files!

Question: I selected the disk image and deleted it. A password was not necessary...is this true? Can anyone just delete the disk image without entering a password?

THANKS!
Robert

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Yes, if the disk image file isn't mounted, it's just another file to the OS. It can be deleted.

Robert J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
El Salvador
Wow. That completely negates the usefulness of this function. What is the best way to protect files? I am willing to spend $.

Thanks!
RJ

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Wow. That completely negates the usefulness of this function. What is the best way to protect files? I am willing to spend $.

It's purpose is to keep people from accessing the files inside, which it did. It doesn't protect from deletion, that's what backups are for. For some level of protection to can change the permissions on the file to make it harder to delete, but nothing will be a sure bet, it's simply impossible. Backups are key.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Well, if you just want to avoid a file being deleted, get info on the file and check the checkbox.

You can do that for a disk images as well (of course, you can't write to the image when it's locked).

Encrypted disk images are for keeping people from seeing what is in the files, not to avoid deletion.

If the disk image doesn't change often, your best bet is to check the 'locked' checkbox and remove read/write rights from other users than the user you use to access it yourself. But even then, someone with physical access to the disk and the knowhow can still delete the sparse image if they try hard enough.

Burning it to a DVD-R would set it in stone. But they could still break the disc into tiny peices. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.