Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
So now that I am back among the living with internet I have a problem to take care of. Just moved, inserted my WD USB external device and it was working fine for a little bit but now I received this message...

Any ideas how to fix this?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 49

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Right now it is not recognized by Disk Utility or the entire system for that matter. Let me do a restart and see what happens.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
No dice. The blue circle on the front of the WD drive is pulsing... is my drive dead?

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Don't know about the blue light on the drive, but that certainly doesn't sound good. Is your drive USB powered, or does it have external power? I have seen similar issue with USB powered drives, when there isn't enough power.

Can you hear/feel the drive spin up when you turn it on or connect it USB?

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Well, it is USB powered but it is was making the "clicking" noise trying to spin... and now nothing. I set up a RMA through Western Digital to get a replacement because it's still under warranty.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
The clicking noise is not good...

One more thing to try would be try a different USB port (I have heard some have more power than others), also try the external power option or Firewire, since it had more power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.