Disk is to FULL!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brycescruggs, Nov 25, 2010.

1. brycescruggs macrumors newbie

Ok heres the deal. Every time I try to export a movie in iMovie or burn a disk in iDVD an error message pops up and says that my startup disk is full. So I bought an external hard drive and backed up my mac using Time Machine. Now I want to delete everything off my mac's internal Hard Drive and use my external hard drive so I can empty my disk. Does this make sense? If so will you please tell me how to do so.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

External drives should be for storage of things you don't use that often; movies, music, photos, and a backup of your entire drive. Now you can start deleting things (but probably not everything) on your internal drive to make room for whatever project you are working on in iMovie.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, you don't want your OS and web browser running off an external USB drive:p

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Why not upgrade the drive? I believe internal mobile storage is upto 1TB now! Plus you still have the option of adding external drives later!!

5. brycescruggs thread starter macrumors newbie

How can you upgrade it?

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Buy a 1TB HDD and install it in your MacBook Pro. There are tons of manuals on the internet explaining how to install it correctly and safely without voiding your warrenty :D

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

(correct me if I'm wrong) Also if it's one of the newer Unibody machines, the hard-drive is considered User replaceable and therefore the instructions should be in that paper pamphlet, Apple calls a User Guide/Manual :rolleyes: