Disk just Corrupted, What to do

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kdog679, Feb 20, 2012.

1. kdog679, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

kdog679 macrumors member

After rebooting from windows to mac, my whole mac startup corrupted. I went into Lion recovery and tried verifying, repairing but nothing worked. I can still however access my windows partition, so I am currently copy files that I need to an external. I also have a time machine backup from the 17th. Do you guys see any steps missing, or any way I can possible repair this disk so I don't have to restore it from time machine? I also just bought it over a week ago, and have no idea how this could have happened. Thanks

2. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

Can you see the Mac partition from within Windows?

3. kdog679 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I can. As of right now I'm sorting through a couple of files, and trying to copy everything I've modified between now and my last time machine backup.

edit: I'll go back to the error message in the lion recovery partition, and see what the exact message is about the drive. I distinctly remember it saying that it was not repairable.

4. kdog679 thread starter macrumors member

Alright so just tried an smcreset and a pram reset. Nothing worked. Went into the lion recovery partition and got the following:
    Verify and Repair Volume "Mac HD"
    Checking file system
    Volume repair Complete
    Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required
    Error: Disk utility can't repair the disk...disk, and restore your backed up files.

So unless anyone has any ideas, I guess I'll go into the lion recovery partition and restore it while I'm sleeping tonight. Still have no idea how this happened, haven't installed any new software since the last OS update.