Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikelti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
so i got my computer back from apple today and i am gathering the data from my old tiny ext hd as well as my old powerbook. the macbook pro mounts the ext drive fine, but can't seem to see the old powerbook when i hold "t" on the powerbook as i start it up connected to macbook pro via firewire.

did the hotkey for target disc mode change? is there a problem mounting a 10.4 drive onto a computer with 10.5?

this didn't work the last time either and i had to mount the mbp hd to the pb. but i don't think i should have to do that.

thanks
another question:
i also got a 1tb mybook external drive (which i expect you might tell me is crap, should i exchange this? i haven't even turned it on yet) i plan to set up as a time machine... can i partition that to be half time machine/half regular ext hd?

and by the way, the pb launches into target disk mode, it just doesn't seem to show up anywhere on the mbp

grazie

Kelly Craig

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
One: The WD 1TB MyBook Drive is a great drive as long as you got the FireWire 800 version.
(almost forgot, IMHO) lol

Two: So if you see the target mode symbol bouncing around the screen on the MacBook then I would suggest trying another firewire cable and launch Disk Utility and see if it at least sees the disk but no recognizable partitions?

mikelti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
i don't think its a problem with the cable, since it does work the other way, although if i did have another at my disposal right now i certainly would try

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.