Disk Partioning Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fishniw, Jan 8, 2009.

1. fishniw macrumors regular

I recently bought a rocketfish hard drive converter because my old hard drive doesn't have a usb drive to easily convert it to my macbook. It is compatible with os x but i'm having a little trouble figuring out what do in disk utility. I've never used it before. Here's some screenshots to help you guys out.

On the left: the instructions provided by rocketfish
    On the right: the screen i get when i go into disk utility

Attached Files:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

How odd. OS X seems to think it's a DVD drive. I have to say I do have doubts about the supposed multi-platform capabilities of a company that can't even get "Disk Utility" right.

How much did you pay for the enclosure? Any enclosure with the same size and internal interface should work the same, or possibly better. In my eyes, Rocketfish is trying to do too much in the device, which is what's tripping you up.

Try opening a terminal window and running:

ls -l /Volumes

What does the output say?

3. fishniw thread starter macrumors regular

I paid about $80 for it. It was the recommended to me at best buy. Here's the output for the terminal command. I wasn't sure if it was right. What I entered: ls -1 /Volumes

Attached Files:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. fishniw thread starter macrumors regular

ahh, i thought it might be. here it is

Attached Files:

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, looks okay. Try running:

sudo chmod g+w /Volumes/RF-HD35

(By the way, you can copy and paste commands into the Terminal.)

7. fishniw thread starter macrumors regular

here it is

Attached Files:

8. Trip.Tucker Guest

You need to verify how the OS has mounted the device particularly if it is showing up as a ROM device. Run the mount command to view the mount status.

9. fishniw thread starter macrumors regular

if you look at the orginal post on the right screenshot it won't even let me do that. maybe there's some other way to do it? I'm not sure

10. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Try booting up to a system disk (with disk in drive, restart while holding down "c" until the Apple logo appears). Once you select your language, you'll be able to access the Utilities menu bar and access Disk Utility. Try partitioning it from there.

Select the drive as you did in the first post, change the "Current" pull-down menu to how ever many partitions you want, click the Options button at the bottom, select whichever fits your machine (GUID for Intel, Apple for PPC), and then select the format on the right to Extended Journaled.

If the drive itself isn't whacked out, it looks like an enclosure problem causing Disk Utility not to recognize it properly.

Could possibly the wrong enclosure? Even if both are IDE/ATA devices, an enclosure made specifically for an optical drive will not recognize a hard drive plugged into it. (Edit, from the looks of the model number it is for an HDD, although it is still possible the enclosure is bad)

11. fishniw thread starter macrumors regular

i tried holding down "c" until the apple logo shoes on the restart and nothing out of the ordinary happened. it was just like a normal restart

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's odd. Try holding the option key during startup. A menu should show up before the Apple logo asking whether you want to boot to the disk or to your hard drive partition.