"Disk Password" user on login screen

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by officelurker, Nov 30, 2014.

1. officelurker macrumors member

When I restart my 15' retina Yosemite laptop, I get a option for three users at the login screen: myself, disk password and guest.

What is this disk password? There is no user in Users by that name. How do I get rid of it?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you happen to have an encrypted external disk attached?

3. officelurker thread starter macrumors member

I dont. But I did do a clean install of yosemite from a USB and its after that install that I noticed this new user.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. officelurker thread starter macrumors member

I did have File Vault on. I turned it off. Restarted and didnt see the option for "password user". Odd thing is there is no option for Guest either now.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you turn FV2 on it creates that Safari only Guest account in hope the thief will get on the Internet with that account and Find My Mac will see the computer. But I have never seen FV create that second account you are describing. I don't know what tat is about. Did you happen to notice if it was listed in Users & Groups in System Prefs?

7. officelurker thread starter macrumors member

Under Users & Groups in Sys Prefs there is two accounts, admin and guest. But on login screen, only getting Admin. No biggie i guess. Thanks for all who helped!

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Disk password is showing, because FileVault was on. It isn't a user account. You click on it to unlock the drive just you would clicking your own account. Mine shows the same because I encrypted before install.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have never seen that third login option like OP describes with FV. Can you explain what you mean by "encrypted before install" that might have caused this?