Disk Permissions Problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by radesousa, Nov 4, 2010.

1. radesousa macrumors member

Hi Folks:

For over two years my iMac has been running like a Swiss watch but in the past months I've had endless problems with disk permissions which has drastically slowed down my machine. I've erased my hard drive twice and reinstalled my OS but the problem keeps returning. Can my time machine drive be reinfecting my iMac? Or is my boot drive going bad and needs to be replaced? TIA

Rich

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. radesousa thread starter macrumors member

After erasing my hard drive twice and re-installing my OS and the problems keep returning, I'm beginning to suspect you could be correct.... :mad:

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Have you booted dvd and run disk utility to check the disk thoroughly instead of just re-installing?

5. radesousa thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I did. Every time my iMac slowed down to a crawl I re-booted from the OS X DVD and checked my hard drive using the disk utility options to clean up the hard drive. I think my hard drive is going south.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

What do you mean by "clean up the hard drive"?

7. radesousa thread starter macrumors member

Booting up my iMac from the Snow Leopard disk I used the disk utility repair software to clean up my disk permissions garbage and also used the repair disk software. Needless to say, that was only a temporary fix as the permissions garbage returned. I've purchased a new 1 TB SATA hard drive and I will replace my sick hard drive.