Disk Permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Miqs, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Miqs macrumors member

Miqs

Having just completed a recovery from my back up volume and then re install of my OS. I then did a verify disk and all is ok with my hard disk. I then verified disk permissions and followed with repair permissions which showed repairs done and repeated this three times hoping the verifications would reduce but they apparently didn't. I had approx 200 permission issues and thought after each repair this would reduce but it didn't seem to. My iMac is 7 years old running Lion OSX 10.7.5 and understand there may be slight support issues due to it's age but if I kept repairing permissions would they eventually disappear or will there always be some there? I have checked for software updates and there isn't any to download.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I don't remember EVER having run "Repair Permissions" and getting a clean report! That's just the way it is...or was...before Apple removed "Repair Permissions" from Disk Utility.

You have done everything correctly. If you notice something amiss when you are actually using the computer come back and start a new thread.

3. BLUEDOG314 macrumors member

BLUEDOG314

Curious, what files or directories are being reported as having incorrect permissions? Disk utility will only reset permissions to their standard values for items in root system, library, and applications directories. If the issue lies elsewhere, like in a user home folder, use the reset password utility and reset ACLs.

Could you also copy and paste some of the permissions that are constantly not being fixed?

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Ignore them unless you experience a problem related to permissions.