Disk repair issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Joehoare, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Joehoare, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

Joehoare macrumors newbie

Joehoare

IMG_5386.JPG hi,

I'm having issues when upgrading my MacBook Pro. Whenever I try to install a new OS it fails (think I'm still on yoshimite now?) been trying to repair the disk but keep getting this message (photo attached). Any ideas of what to do?

Also Iv clicked repair just says same
    Thing again!

Thanks!

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Read what it says four lines up from the bottom: "...was found corrupt and can not be repaired." The solution is to erase and reinstall the OS. I hope you have a backup.

3. Joehoare thread starter macrumors newbie

Joehoare

Sorry I'm not that good with this stuff. I'll have to pop it into Apple by the sounds of it then because I don't have a clue how to do that. Thank you for the help, much apprieated!

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

5. Joehoare thread starter macrumors newbie

Joehoare

IMG_5387.JPG Hey again, followed the link instructions and it just says this. Any other suggestions?

Once again thank you for the help!

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Did you erase the HDD, or did you just reinstall the OS?

If you did not erase, this is exactly the result I'd expect you'd get. The previous error told us that the HDD must be erased and reformatted. The OS installer also tests the disk, to make sure the installation will be successful. If the previous problem was not fixed, then the installation would not be successful.

If you successfully erased and reformatted, then attempted reinstall, then there's likely something wrong with the physical HDD.

7. Joehoare thread starter macrumors newbie

Joehoare

IMG_5391.JPG Tried deleting HDD Now it's just doing this and won't even re-set. Aghhh!

8. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Did you just Erase and then restart the Mac? Again, exactly what we would expect. That icon tells us that it can't find a bootable operating system.

Boot back into Recovery, and Reinstall.

9. Joehoare thread starter macrumors newbie

Joehoare

Excellent it worked!! Installed mavericks and then in turn installed the new latest OS after from iTunes with no issues. Thank you so much for your help! Literally followed your advice step by step otherwise I wouldn't of had a clue. Thanks!!!