disk repair problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kunze50, Apr 27, 2008.

1. kunze50 macrumors regular

I have found there to be a problem with the disk after verifiying it so I popped in the tiger install disk, (Mac OS X install disk), for the iMac and used disk utility to repair the disk. It completes and says its fine. The disk utility in the utility folder says there is a problem though, (in the pic below). How do I repair this? I'm running 10.5.2 now. What about the disk utility on the leopard disk? would it just be the same as the one on the install disk?

Attached Files:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK, so you are looking for problems and will not be satisfied until you find some? BTW, you do understand that Tiger is MacOS X 10.4, don't you? The most recent version of Disk Utility is the one installed as part of MacOS X 10.5.2. If you are running Leopard (MacOS X 10.5.2), then it is a bad idea to try to repair your drive with the Tiger version of Disk Utility.

If there is a real problem with your hard drive, then the best repair is to start-up in Single User Mode and then run File System Check:
    • Restart.
    • Press [cmd]+ until your computer boots fullscreen to the command prompt.
      [*]At the command prompt, type fsck -fy
      [*]If any repairs were made, then retype fsck -fy
      [*]If no repairs were made, then type exit. Your computer will go through some machinations until it boots to the GUI.

3. kunze50 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. OK so its bad to use Disk Utility off the original Tiger install disks when Leopard is installed? So Disk Utility on the leopard install disc is the one I should use to repair the drive? or should I run file system check first?