Disk Size Issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Chalmo, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Chalmo macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I seem to be having an issue with my Mac Air 2012 SSD space, looking for suggestions!

I got an error popup saying that my SSD was low on disk space. I checked System Info but it shows:
    [​IMG]

I looked further at Disk Utility and verified the disk (showing here it thinks only 16MB left):
    [​IMG]

I rebooted with Command + R. Went to Disk Utility and verified again but it showed as fine.

Any idea whats going on? Take to Apple?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Back up irreplaceable data.

Then, see that REPAIR button on the lower right, push it!

3. Chalmo thread starter macrumors newbie

When I click 'Repair Disk' it pops up with a message that I should reboot into Recovery mode. I do that then it doesn't show any issues with the disk in there.

Backup and reinstall? :(

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, but you may find that the disk is on it's way out....Backup for sure, re-format and start over, if you still get errors, then I'd take it in to Apple.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

it looks like you have Filevault2 turned on there? Turn off Filevault and wait for it to unencrypt the drive. Then do the command-r boot to recovery again and use Disk Util to repair the whole disk, not just the Macintosh HD partition. Do it twice to make sure the errors are gone the second time.

If all is well, reboot to normal and reenable FV2.

6. Chalmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions I will try them out and see if it works, ready to re-install just now though.

I always have a Time Machine backup. I don't have any local copies of anything which aren't in sync with 'The Cloud' whether its Dropbox, Google Drive or Sky Drive for my storage.

You're right I do have File Vault on, will try what you suggested.

Thanks.

7. Chalmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats better... :)

[​IMG]

After the suggestion by Weaselboy.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad it worked out. :)

Similar thing happened to me once. I have Filevault on and one day I shutdown my machine and it just sat there a couple minutes at the grey screen spinning. I got impatient (big mistake) and held the power button to shut down. Apparently that jacked up the drive as I got the same Disk Util errors you had. I suspect by not allowing the Filevault volume to close properly it corrupted things.

I ended up unencrypting then running Disk Util like I suggested to you, then reencrypting and never had a problem since.

The moral of the story is I now just wait for it to shutdown. :eek: