Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Penman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
I've lost the internatl drive in my PB for the second time in three months (an 80gig 5400). It's really distressing when you're based in a country with not a single Apple Authorized repair centre and thus even a warranty fix means getting on a plane.

Anyway - that's not what I want to talk about (I was venting). I'd like to know what people reccomend as back-up software for OS X (is CCC the only suggestion or truly the best?)

Also any tips for preserving a drive in a computer that's used 12 hrs a day? I already have 1TB of external drives and have just ordered another 500GB. I use the externals for the heavy lifting but the internals are in use (browsing, IS, PS etc) all day.

Faced with a possible loss of data (yes I back up - no I didn't do it every day) I don't mind spending money for security. Suggestions please.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Are you looking primarily to make sure that your drive is backed up to a single copy (i.e., a cloning solution), or making backups of individual files which change (more of a traditional backup)? The former is slower and takes up more room but ensures you can go back to exactly where you were, the latter is faster and smaller but makes it harder to be sure your setup is identical to the way it was pre-crash.

Penman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
jsw said:
Are you looking primarily to make sure that your drive is backed up to a single copy (i.e., a cloning solution), or making backups of individual files which change (more of a traditional backup)? The former is slower and takes up more room but ensures you can go back to exactly where you were, the latter is faster and smaller but makes it harder to be sure your setup is identical to the way it was pre-crash.

I'm looking for the former solution. Ive now purchased a drive to hold the data and am thinking of partitioning it into 6 seperate partitions and then cloning the backup to each sector for additional security. In addition I'm planning to back-up onto .Mac (and experience with this).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.