Disk space available on HD but not for account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by saminsocks, Oct 9, 2008.

1. saminsocks macrumors regular

I'm not really sure how to explain this. According to Finder, iStat Pro and Disk Utility, I have over 10 GB available on my HD. However, when I get info on my user account folder, it states there is no space available. This is the only account I have on here, and to my knowledge I don't have a quota listed for it. Is there a way to find out why it's stating I'm out of disk space? This just recently started happening. The first time I noticed it was when I tried to download something from iTunes a few weeks ago, but lately I've been getting the message outside of iTunes and was even unable to save a document in TextEdit a couple nights ago.

I've repaired my permissions, verified my disk and did the 35-Pass to erase disk space. I've tried using quotacheck, but it doesn't seem to return any results.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been discussed. I couldn't find it in a search, but I wasn't sure how to explain it, so it's hard to search for it.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

When getting info on your account folder it should even show space available, since your account folder is just a folder. (Even if it is a FileVault image, the capacity is the same as your HD).

How are you getting that space info for your account?

3. saminsocks thread starter macrumors regular

Get Info in Finder. It's showing that the capacity is 74.41 GB, although my HD has 111.5.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Get info on the account folder should tell you how much you are using, not the free HD space. Only place that free space shows is when you get info on the HD.

5. saminsocks thread starter macrumors regular

They are both listed as a volume. On the left is my HD, on the right is my account volume.

Also, I haven't been asked if I want file vault to recover disk space when restarting or shutting down since this started. I'm running Tiger 10.4.11.

Attached Files:

6. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

The "Get Info" screen on the right is for a sparse diskimage, not a regular directory. Did you somehow compress your user and are mounting it that way?

--

edited later.. never mind, I didn't see the mention of FileVault.