Disk space seems small. Any insight?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dukebound85, Aug 15, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have a mb and mbp...both with 500 gig hdds. Both are running 10.6.4 yet I am miffed by the available space. I recently installed a fresh copy of osx on my mbp and have merely been dragging info from the mb to mbp and yet the mbp has less available free space even though I have not transferred everything from the mb to mbp. I have added a few things to the mbp but nothing major (like open office) How is this possible?

When looking under my boot drive, there are 4 folders. Here are the respective sizes

MB

• Applications: 10.53GB
      Library: 8.2GB
      System: 4.39GB
      Users: 286.11GB

Available free space: 188.67GB

Adding up the totals, I get 497.9GB....seems very close to the capacity of 500GB

MBP

• Applications: 7.14GB
      Library: 5.57GB
      System: 4.61GB
      Users: 290.97GB

Available Free Space: 183.69GB

Adding up the totals, I get 491.98GB....while close to capacity of 500GB, it is alot further from it than the mb

Intuitively, the mbp should have more free space but it is a good 5GB less. Why is this? Why is it when I add these totals up, there is such a large discrepancy in relation to the original drive capacity (497.9GB for mb vs 491.98GB for mbp)??

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Hidden files.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Any way you know I can clean this up then?
    When looking at hidden files at the boot drive level

MBP: 10.61GB

MB: 4.41GB

Why would the MBP have so much more GB in hidden files? An can I slim these down to the levels of the mb at all?

Thanks

PS: The main infringer seems to be the "private" folder with 9.46GB and then the "var" folder within it. private/var/vm/sleepimage

This sleepimage file is 8.59GB on the mbp and only 2.15 on the mb

This may be silly, but I know I could carbon copy clone the mb drive to the mbp drive and have it work as I have done that before with new laptops

My question is because I am able to ccc it....can I simply copy this private folder from the mb to the mbp and be alright?

PS: When I add the hidden file sizes to those above, it exceeds the capacity of the drive. How is this possible?

POSSIBLE/MOST PROBABLE EXPLANATION FOR THOSE THAT CARE DOWN THE ROAD

The sleep image file I have found out is dependant on the amt of ram one has and this makes sense (here is a link)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=265475

The discrepancy is most likely a result of the fact my mbp has 8 gigs of ram and my mb has 2 gigs which corresponds to the sleep image file sizes

A nice article on this
    http://www.macworld.com/article/53471/2006/10/sleepmode.html