Disk Space Suddenly Full?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mynameisraj, Nov 30, 2008.

1. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Earlier today I started a 7 pass erase free disk space through disk utility and about 2 hours in it said my startup disk is full.

I had 126GB free earlier (out of a 148GB drive) when I started the 7 pass (it's still going on) but now if I get info on my HD it says zero kb free.

I know I could download something like Grandperspective but when I try I just get an error saying there isn't enough space.

Is this some sort of log file issue? Where are these big log files usually located? Any help would be greatly appreciated because the computer is practically unusable. I really want to avoid trying to do a new install (or archive and install) because it's a PITA.

I can provide console.log info as well if it will help fix the issue.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Why are you doing a 7pass erase free disk space ?

It will take hours - if not days to complete - and are you running this from an install disc ?

Sounds like you will be doing a fresh install shortly......

3. mynameisraj thread starter macrumors 6502

I had some secure info on there that I don't want to fall into the wrong hands if I sell the computer. I'm aware of the time it will take… I believe it is 8 hours or so…

I'm not running it from the install disk - should I be? Why would Apple include a disk utility in the applications folder if they wanted you to run Disk Utility from the startup disk?

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

It is included because it can be used for lots of things on both startup disks and any other disks that are connected to the Mac.....

It seems safer to use the install dvd since you cannot use the Mac while you are erasing the free-space anyway. Modifying the startup disk when running from it is not really a sensible thing to do (maybe I am wrong or cautious).

5. mynameisraj thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I just skipped the process and everything looks normal now…*is it or should I still boot from disk and reinstall? My free space is back - I guess disk utility makes an enormous temporary file and then it writes over it?

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I guess it must (similar to the process when resizing partitions).

I would boot from the install dvd and then run Disk Utility from there and leaving it running overnight or when you go out or something....