Disk space tool?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DrStrangelove, Dec 23, 2008.

1. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere-- I've done a couple of (perhaps, bad) searches and am not finding anything.

I'm wondering if there's a tool for my Mac that I can install which would tell me what types of files are taking up the space on my hard-drive. I don't know a better way to ask-- but it would be a tool that shows the total HD space and then, perhaps by percentage (or actual bytes) shows X=music, Y=apps, Z=images, etc... something like that.

I'm trying to find an easy way to determine where I should start freeing up space (if I can). I deleted all of my email attachments-- that gave me a couple of gigs. I downloaded "monolingual" (or somehting like that) to remove other languages, but reading the readme got too scared to do it-- it sounds like if you make some wrong choices you can screw stuff up and I've downloaded Onyx to try and speed this thing up but I'm kinda scared to use that, too.

Okay, I'm scared-- heheheh. Anyway-- any tools or suggestions would be welcome.

Happy Holidays to all,
    DocS

2. jlocalled macrumors member

jlocalled

Disk Inventory X can show you your hard drive in a map layout, and shows a list of everything from largest to smallest :) I included a Screenie.

Attached Files:

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Both Grand Perspective and Disk Inventory X are great tools to find out where your disk space is going.

Disk Inventory X is a little easier to use to drill down into details and also see what kinds of files take up more space (like music, video, etc.). Grand Perspective allows you to directly delete stuff from within the program (if this is enabled in the preferences).