Disk space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dragonev, Jun 8, 2011.

1. dragonev, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

dragonev macrumors member

I just got my first Mac (Pro). I chose an SSD 128Gb rather than classic HDD and started to suffer consequences. Now I lost already quarter of my disk space without anything serious. Simple backups (iPhone and iPad took 10Gb). How to minimize this issues? Can I compress backups? How to clean mac properly? I got CleanMyMac but its not free so I would like a free program or even do it manually to familiarize myself with the system. I already find out how to check what is weight how much.

P.s. Cannot locate iPod Photo Cache folder on my Mac. Neither with Spotlight nor with deep search through folders manually

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Understand that

a) 128 GB is not a lot in the first place.
    b) 1/4 of 128 GB is 37 GB. You still have more than 90 GB available.
    c) If you haven't filled up your 128 GB drive to capacity, storage is probably not an issue.

Adding additional storage is cheap. a 1 TB drive will run you less than $100 these days.

3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Try using a disc analyser (such as Grand Perspective) to see where what your space is being used on. I'm sure it'll be handy with a small drive like that

4. dragonev thread starter macrumors member

I understand these quite obvious points.
    I found out the most things except that I didn't find iOS Photo Cache folder. Neither spotlight nor hands helped.

Paulywauly, thanks

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Don't use CleanMyMac. Just passing along a warning from all the problems people have reported with it. I've stayed away.

6. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

if you simply drag something to the trash on a mac and empty the trash does that mean it is totally gone from your computer?

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It's still there, for awhile, but not easily recovered, nor cheaply.