Disk Speed Test: Mini with OCZ Solid3 SSD .VS MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by deafgoose, Nov 16, 2011.

1. deafgoose, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

I decided to run a disk speed test on my mac mini with OCZ Solid3 120GB SSD. I also ran the same test on my MacBook Air with 128GB SSD and I was quite surprised by the results.

How in the world could my MacBook Air outperform the OCZ Solid3????

I am really not impressed by the performance of the OCZ drive. :roll eyes:

OCZ Solid3 120GB SSD:
    [​IMG]

MacBook Air 128GB SSD:
    [​IMG]

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Disk speed test uses incompressible data. Therefore it's a benchmark of a very specific situation and not how fast your drive is in day to day use.

3. deafgoose thread starter macrumors regular

deafgoose

I am not complaining about the specific data speeds. I am complaining that my MacBook Air outperformed my OCZ Solid3 pretty significantly.

4. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

The OCZ Solid 3 is an entry level Sandforce 2200 series drive. Thus, it uses lower quality NAND that does not handle incompressible data very well. The higher end Vertex 3 MAX IOPS and similar OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G use higher quality 32nm Toshiba Toggle NAND at a lower density which handles incompressible data much better because there are more channels to each chip.

5. deafgoose thread starter macrumors regular

deafgoose

Good info. THANKS!

Would you say its worth upgrading? Would I "feel" a difference in performance?

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

No. Frankly, I have 3 different SSD's, the Basic Apple 128gb that came with my Feb 2011 MBP, a OCZ Vertex 2 (sandforce SATA2) and a Corsair Force 3 (sandforce SATA3). I can't really tell a lot of real world difference between any of them. Boot up might be a second or two faster with the Force 3 compared to the slow Apple SSD, but any of them are considerably faster than a Mechanical Drive and that's the most important thing.

I always tell people, don't worry about the benchmarks. If it is fast enough for what you are doing why upgrade?

7. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Probably not in daily use. Unless you do a lot of work with incompressible data. The speed test app that you used is for video editing.