Disk Stcuk in Mac Mini (about to lose my ever loving mind)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by zenfleshzenbone, Sep 19, 2008.

1. zenfleshzenbone macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I am in dire need of some Mac expertise here. I have a G4 Mac Mini a friend gave me cause it "didn't work". Put in a new HD (which it needed), upgraded to 1Gb of ram, slapped a windows keyboard and wireless mouse on it and its been running 10.4 fine. I popped in my Leopard disk to upgrade the software. Here's my issue:

1. Mini would not boot up into the installer. It got stuck at the grey apple screen. No biggie.

2. Tried to reboot and get my cd out, to no avail. I guess since I have a windows keyboard I cant use any of the startup key combos?? Tried holding the mouse, C, X, Option (alt), command (windows) + S etc.. everything I could think of. Nothing. Just the grey screen with the wheel.

3. For some reason it decided all the sudden to boot from the cd. I thought "SWEET! FINALLY" ..nope. Wont let me install. Fails. Says it cant read the disk and it may need to be cleaned, which it might. No option to eject. Just a reboot button.

4. Tried ejecting from the disk utility from the Leopard install disk, but it wont let me cause it's using the disk. Also tried a "drutil tray eject" from the command line on the disk. Nothing.

Do I really need to get an apple keyboard to do these key combos? I mean, Im planning on getting one, but it sucks that I cant use the one I have for the time being. What are my options here?

2. ChevyAppleJR macrumors newbie

ChevyAppleJR

Just hold the power button and turn it off

This happend to me too I have a g4 mini as well Just hold the power button and turn it off and it will auto eject the disk. It took me a week to figure that out lol.

G:apple:

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    yeppers.It works:D

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just take your socks and shoes off and walk around barefoot.

Your lost mind will be the squishy thing you step in.

5. zenfleshzenbone thread starter macrumors newbie

I held down the power button for about two minutes and it doesn't eject the disk. It just shuts it off. :confused:

6. zenfleshzenbone thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks for the help.. but i finally got it. Here's what I did:

1. Held down the power button on boot up. That brought me to the open firmware screen.

2. typed "eject cd" then "mac-boot"

Finally.. after 3 days I have a functional desktop again. Just thought I would post this for anyone else who might have the same issue.