Disk stuck in 20" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Denton, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Denton macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I just wanted to ask specifically about one of the techniques used to eject a stuck disk. Can anybody say when you have to exactly hold down the mouse button when restarting? I've tried it dozens of times with no luck. Thanks in advance. :)

2. Richard.John macrumors regular

Isn't there a keyboard command to do it? Option key plus the eject arrow next to the F12 key.

3. BennyK macrumors 6502

I thought there was an emergency button you can hit with a paperclip in the drive... not sure though

4. Chrycopsycho macrumors member

Open terminal and type the following, then hit return key to enter command:
    drutil tray eject
    Hope this helps
    Chris :)

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

On a MacBook you hold down the trackpad button on startup to force eject. I don't know if the mouse button would do anything or not.

6. Denton thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

I tried the Terminal cmd to no avail. Also, this is a Core 2 Duo iMac, so i'm not sure if there is an emergency eject button or not. I was just asking about the way where you hold down the mouse button to eject after restarting, because I know it works because I tried it the last few times a CD got stuck. And the keyboard command didn't work either.

7. Buttercookie macrumors member

When I got a disk stuck I restarted and held down the eject button on the keyboard until the disk popped out. I'm at work and not near a mac but I'm pretty sure the button is in the upper right corner of the keyboard

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Well you've tried the Terminal command but what about the eject button on the keyboard, right clicking the disc and selecting "Eject," and dragging the disc icon to the trash bin to eject? If none of these don't work I'm at a loss, maybe doing it after a restart would work, or if you have Windows installed with Boot Camp, you could probably log in under that and try and eject it.

9. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Mouse button on start-up works every time for me. You could also try going into Disk Utility and ejecting the disc from there, if you're trying to avoid a restart.

10. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Mouse button on start-up works every time for me.

Same for me.

Launching iTunes and clicking the eject-disc icon there also never fails to eject any disc in my drawer.